Friday, November 7, 2014

Maleficent

I have always loved the character of Maleficent, even though I've never much cared for the story of Sleeping Beauty.  I think the fact that she turned into a dragon made her seem really cool, or maybe her super cool looking twisty headpiece.  For whatever reason, I have always considered Maleficent to be my most favorite Disney character.  Yeah, a villain.  Go figure!


So you can imagine how excited I was when I found out they were making a new movie about Maleficent!  Then they casted Angelina Jolie.  I'm not a big fan of her.  In fact she pretty much annoys the crap out of me, so my enthusiasm faded a bit.  Then the full trailer came out, showing Maleficent as the protagonist!  I was pumped.  Maleficent, as the hero.  A strong, albeit vengeful, woman with some kickass wings!  Turned out my stepdaughter was equally excited about seeing the movie and so soon after it was released we went to the movies to see our favorite villain in the role of the hero on the big screen.


The relationship between Maleficent and her former love's daughter with his new wife really touched me.  To me it was very reminiscent of a stepmother/daughter relationship.  Maleficent stepped up and took care of someone else's daughter.  Maybe at first she didn't actually care for the little girl but she eventually found she had grown fond of her.  Maleficent loved and cared for her as if she was her own daughter.  I loved watching the relationship grow and it was special to me to be able to see the movie with my stepdaughter; but I really honestly felt like it must have just been in my head that their relationship reflected a stepmother/daughter type of bond.  That is, until I found this article saying the same exact things I felt!  Because of how amazing it is to find that I'm not the only one who saw it this way, and how much I love the character and the new adaptation, I'm sharing the article here.


5 Reasons Maleficent Changes Everything You Thought About Stepmothers

No comments:

Post a Comment